Armature Studio is located in Austin, Texas and was founded by the key developers of the acclaimed Metroid Prime franchise. We currently employ a team of industry veterans with experience on numerous games, and are looking to add to that roster. We aim to keep the creative flexibility of a small independent studio while partnering with publishers to create compelling, high end games for every type of platform, utilizing a variety of game engines. Recent titles we have worked on include Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, Batman: Arkham City Blackgate, and The Unfinished Swan. For the project we are currently working on we have teamed with Keiji Inafune, of Mega Man fame, and Microsoft to bring the world “ReCore”: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/recore
Also in the works is a port project, bringing Koji Igarashi’s new game “Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night” to WiiU and PSVita: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night
With more projects like these in our future, we look forward to a future of continued growth and fun at our beautiful studio on the banks of Lake Austin!
If you want to work with a close knit, agile team on projects that excite; if you like variety and an environment where you can grow and learn, then Armature Studio is your place!
Like Armature on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Armature-Studio/119236148105432?ref=br_tf
Follow Armature on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArmatureStudio
If you are interested in a position, please send your résumé to email@example.com and include the position name in the subject line of your message.
Please note: Due to the volume of applications we receive for our job postings, we are unable to respond personally to telephone inquiries regarding the status of an application. Only candidates being considered for interview will be contacted at this time.
Working closely with the Game Director, the Lead Designer will be responsible for spearheading the creation of gameplay systems, narrative, scenario authoring and quality for our upcoming project ReCore. This role will also include managing and directing other designers as well as coordinating and collaborating with other development departments.
To apply for this position, please send resume demo to: HR@Armature. com. Relocation assistance within the US is available for this position.
- Guiding and owning the design of features throughout implementation, iteration, and polish, ensuring it meets the quality standard and vision for the product.
- Strong, creative level design and story building
- Strong managerial and motivational skills
- Evangelizes the project’s creative direction
- Deconstruct features and design direction to formulate workloads and determine production risks
- Provide regular guidance to the team to ensure all assets meet the overall creative vision, technical direction and quality bar.
- Keep Game Director advised of progress on tasks, recommended improvements, and problems encountered.
- Build effective working relationships with other departments and leverage them as appropriate for getting things done.
- 7 years of industry experience working as a Game Designer with at least 1 shipped AAA title
- Must have lead at least 1 project to published completion as either a Lead Designer or a Game Director
- Contagious enthusiasm for the project at hand and capable of driving the project vision
- Able to lead the coordination of planning decisions for the project group
- Proficient understanding of all aspects of game creation: from design related disciplines of level building and script authoring to art pipelines and engineering processes
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Disciplined and self-motivated with a strong work ethic
- Ability to create detailed design documentation and work closely with programmers, artists, and design teams to implement game features
- Ability to effectively analyze and give direction for improving submitted gameplay assets
- Able to work independently with a minimum of supervision
- Candidates must have a US work permit
Contract UI Engineer
The Contract UI Engineer works closely with the UI Artist and Lead Designer to build a game interface that runs smoothly, is consistent with the vision of the game, and that will engage the player. You have a love of gaming and an innate understanding of what provides a great user interface experience. This is a 6 month, in-house, contract position.
- Design and implement gameplay features within an established framework, including server functionality as appropriate
- Design and implement modifications, reorganizations, extensions, and optimizations to existing code base
- Implement and augment tools to expose features to content creators
- Work closely with designers and artists to implement their ideas, providing technical, creative, and scheduling feedback; expand and adapt designs to meet project goals
- Provide time estimates to leads and management; keep co-workers informed about progress of programming deliverables as well as non-programming prerequisites for feature implementation
- Minimum of 3 years of game industry experience working as a software engineer specializing in UI.
- Close collaboration with artists and designers as well, helping to influence the technical direction of projects and address game systems needs
- Strong 3D math skills
- Highly proficient in C/C++
- Basic understanding of PhotoShop and Illustrator
- Experience with Flash and Scaleform a plus
- Experience with scripting languages and component based game engines such as Unity
- Familiarity with content creation in Flash and ActionScript 3
- Ability to adhere to the prevalent coding style and practices, including source control standards.
- Understanding of procedural and object-oriented programming paradigms.
- Familiarity with component-based programming paradigms and with networking programming.
- Good instincts for game design and fun and innovative gameplay.
- Able to work independently and efficiently as required.
- Ability to multitask several time intensive tasks at once.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong time management and process documentation skills
- Candidates must have a US work permit
A contract QA Tester at Armature will work closely with other members of the development team to test game features as they are being developed. The job involves playing (i.e., testing) the game in a systematic way, analyzing the game’s performance against the designer’s intentions, identifying problems, and suggesting improvements. Testers are responsible for assuring quality in the final product and for finding flaws in a game before it goes public.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- High level of pro-activeness and sense of urgency.
- Risk assessment pertaining to software testing.
- Very detail oriented.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Previous testing experience is preferred.
- Must be able to categorize bugs and able to prioritize.
- Must be able to maintain concentration while playing games for long periods.
- Experience with JIRA or other bug tracking software.
- Local to Austin, Texas